Letter from The Long Walk Chairperson
The Chairperson of The Long Walk Trust, Leanne Brooke, responded to The Age journalist Caroline Wilson's recent article on Essendon Football Club's community programs. Below is the extract of her letter:
Ms Caroline Wilson,
I write to you in my capacity as Chairperson of The Long Walk Trust.
I have been made aware of comments you made in The Age (Wednesday 5th March) regarding Essendon Football Club’s lack of “community programs” and nonexistent work in the Indigenous space in recent years.
These comments are incorrect. Essendon Football Club delivers a range of innovative programs and initiatives which have resulted in ground breaking achievements.
EFC’s Community Programs staff are passionate and committed to working with the community to deliver the following programs:
• Bombers Bright Future- Indigenous Employment Program
• Cancer Council- Call to Arms
• Bully Zero (speaks for itself)
• Boots for All (Donation of football boots to remote and diverse communities)
• On The Ball (health and lifestyle program delivered in partnership with the Australian Paralympic Committee)
• Kinder carnivals (delivered to Kindergartens in the North West Region of Melbourne)
• Multicultural Schools Program (6wk program)
• Unity Cup ( AFP partnership for youth from diverse backgrounds)
• GLoBALL Program (International students program)
Aside from the amazing work listed above Essendon Football Club continue to support and work with The Long Walk Trust in the following capacity:
• Major Partner of The Long Walk Trust (including office housing, payroll, financial contribution)
• Walk The Talk – National education program
• Dreamtime at the G- ticketing and event management
• The Long Walk Women’s Lunch
• The Long Walk events
• Reconciliation Week activities
• NAIDOC Week activities
• Supply of Indigenous Players at The Long Walk community events, schools etc.
The above information can be found at both Essendon Football Club and The Long Walk websites. It’s disappointing that rather than highlight the wonderful and committed work both organisations undertake in the community, you chose to make comments which are factually incorrect.
Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to learn more about the exciting initiatives The Long Walk is undertaking in the community.
The Long Walk Trust